The University of Zagreb School of Dental Medicine (UZSDM/SFZG) is the finest, the oldest, and the most prestigious academic dental institution in Croatia.
Our study program is largely practice-based, involving considerable clinical experience and modern technologies.
It is the only autonomous higher education institution in the Republic of Croatia to provide programs for doctors of dental medicine.
The history of the School of Dental Medicine, within the aegis of the University of Zagreb, involves three phases of development:
- The initial period as the higher education institution, from 1922 to 1948;
- Founding and enacting of the Department of Odontology at the School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, from 1948 to 1962;
- Founding and thriving of the School of Dental Medicine from 1962, throughout more than five decades.
The modern society’s ever increasing focus on cognition has also been recognized by the School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb. Thus, in the past ten years, it has become the profession’s main foundation in the Republic of Croatia, thanks to its structure, teaching organization, and its curricula. By signing the Bologna declaration in 2001, at the Ministerial Conference in Prague, Croatia committed itself to modifying its system of higher education by the year 2010, so as to comply with the Bologna principles. The preparations for implementing the Bologna Declaration at the School of Dental Medicine presented many a challenge, and requirements that needed to be met. Consequently, this period saw numerous changes on all levels of the School’s functioning.
The milestones in the advancement of the School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb, and its functioning during the past decade have been:
- 1999/2000 – The very first complete self-evaluation of the School of Dental Medicine was made as a basis for assessment and efficacy of the syllabus and the study program.
- 2001 – An evaluation was performed by the DentEd international visitation team, which operates under the auspices of the Association for Dental Education in Europe (ADEE).
- 2008 – The second complete self-evaluation of the School of Dental Medicine was made. Consequently, a visitation was carried out, and the license obtained.
- 2010 - A review of integrated undergraduate and graduate university study program was made (Dental Medicine), dealing with the compliance of the study program with the Directive 2005/36/EC of the European Parliament and The Council for the recognition of professional qualifications.
In 2006, the postgraduate doctoral study program was initiated, and as of the academic year 2013/2014, the doctoral studies are also performed in English language. In 2006, the School of Dental Medicine was given a guarantee by the University of Zagreb, whereby the organization of the study programs was ensured, and as of the 21st of February 2008, the concerned ministry issued the license for the postgraduate doctoral study program in Dental Medicine.
In 2014, an internal evaluation was performed for the postgraduate doctoral study program in Dental Medicine, resulting in issuance of relevant license.